Sunday, November 13, 2011

Swimming

Training went well this week, I am not posting my workouts that I did this week because I did the exact same schedule as last. When I decided to do this race I made sure to start training for it a few weeks before my training schedule began so I could acclimate to the demands of the schedule. This upcoming week will be new workouts so check the blog out next week for the new workouts.

One thing I would like to write about is my favorite swimming training book and program: Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way to Swim Better, Faster, and Easier
http://www.amazon.com/Total-Immersion-Revolutionary-Better-Faster/dp/068481885X and, http://www.totalimmersion.net/.
Total Immersion taught me how to swim triathlons years ago and I recently went back to it to review the material. This book is how training books need to be written. It is about one stroke, the only stroke you need in a race, the freestyle stroke. It is full of ways to make you a more efficient swimmer and it gave me my swimming form I have today, which while not perfect is pretty damned good especially for someone who never took swimming lessons. I highly recommend buying this book if you want to swim faster, farther, and easier.

Swimming has also helped with my joints and my running. I don't know exactly how it is helping but my legs have been feeling better than they have in a long time. Yesterday I did a brick workout (combining two workouts into one) I swam 800 meters and immediately jumped onto the treadmill for a 1.5 mile sprint. I normally have been wearing my compression socks but for this I had left them at home. My legs felt strong and my lungs felt great. My swim was not fantastic and I felt lethargic, once on the treadmill though I felt immediately better finishing at a 8 min a mile pace (which is pretty fast for me).
I'm thinking the swimming is increasing my circulation in my lower legs, allowing my joints to rest while working out, and is increasing my cardio abilities all at the same time.

I'm feeling better all around and my body is getting much more used to working out twice a day although I am sleeping much more as well. Next week will be updated for my workouts and I am rereading my favorite running book now, "Ultramarthon Man", I'll give a write up on it next week, highlighting my favorite part of the book, "the soiling of the Lexus"...

No comments:

Post a Comment